A new Deliberative-Collaborative eDemocracy model is emerging worldwide. This model can contribute to a more open and inclusive form of policy-making by involving citizens through the use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
ECAS is implementing a Digital Democracy Agenda, aiming to explore the democratic potential of ICT in:
- Reducing the gap between political elites and citizens;
- Transforming the relationship between EU citizens and EU decision-makers into more of a partnership, thus contributing to the creation of an engaged citizenship;
- Enabling the EU to go beyond consultations and structured dialogues with the usual stakeholders, to expand the number of contributors to EU policy-making, remove potential barriers to participation that translate into a general feeling of exclusion and engage groups that are underrepresented.
ECAS actively supports the implementation of the first transnational instrument of participatory democracy in the EU – the European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI) – through the ECI Support Centre by providing legal advice, research, analysis and recommendations for the simplification of the ECI Regulation as well as through co-organising the annual ECI Day event in Brussels.
In the period 2015 – 2020 ECAS is working to:
- Define the possible scope and implications of Digital EU Citizenship in view of promoting and advocating for new approaches of engaging citizens based on ICT (e.g. crowdsourcing at EU level).
- Organise 3D – a Digital Democracy Day in Brussels as an annual event to raise awareness and report on new developments in the area.
- Advocate for increased user-friendliness and accessibility of the European Citizens Initiative.
- Promote and support the participation of youth in the EU decision-making process (e.g., the DEEP-linking Youth project).
- Facilitate a network of interested organisations and stakeholders in the Member States to multiply efforts and increase the impact of digital democracy in the EU.
- Launch a pilot on crowdsourced legislation at EU level.
[View the story "Towards Better Legislation at EU level" on Storify]
EU Policies and Outreach Manager Elisa Bruno has been featured in an opinion piece on Euractiv relating to the European Commission's recently adopted Better Regulation Agenda. She believes that "the modus operandi for citizens... should aim at ensuring inclusiveness: “engaging…
The purpose of this publication is to explore complementary methods to existing forms of interaction between citizens and policy-makers at EU level which foster co-decision processes using the Internet and Web 2.0 technologies. Through crowdsourcing it is possible to go…
[View the story "ECI Day 2015 - Review, Renew, Reset!" on Storify]
Pressure on the European Commission to reform and improve the ECI is growing with several reports on the instrument being developed and interest from the media on how the once trumpeted tool for transnational, participatory democracy will be revised. This…
On 13th of April, Assya Kavrakova released an Opinion on Euractiv on the future of the European Citizens' Initiative. Based on an ECAS’ study, "The European Citizens’ Initiative Registration: Falling at the First Hurdle?", conducted in the framework of the…
The ECI Support Centre has released two information sheets on the ECI, to prepare the debate for the upcoming ECI DAY. The data collected over the past three years show the following: There is a clear division East –West Europe regarding…
At the NGO Forum in Riga, Latvia (2-3 March 2015) a Roadmap for the implementation of Articles 11.1 and 11.2 of the Lisbon Treaty has been drafter by a working group within the framework of the EESC Liaison Group with European…
Following ECAS' successful "Digital Democracy in the EU" conference, Petko Georgiev from the ProInfo Foundation, a speaker at the conference and collaborator with ECAS, was interviewed by "The Digital Post". You can read his thoughts on the challenges of new…
Read "The European Citizens' Initiative Registration: Falling at the First Hurdle?" Read more about the event "ECI Legal Framework – Need for Reform?" [View the story "Three years of the ECI: European Parliament Hearing" on Storify]